Wedding and Photography Services

Friday, April 20, 2012

Color Theory

Going to aim for a few small updates this week since I am a little scattered between having just held a birthday party for my husband, looking into renting a better studio space, and some family issues here at home. I'll be treating you to a few nice images in these updates, and be promoting another photographer with one of them.

Today I want to discuss how to work with colors. Not in terms of how to pair things in an image, but how to shoot for an emotional impact by using the colors inherent in a setting. This will be a very visually in depth process, so I will only touch on a few emotions and the best way to communicate them in color. This will be a post of strictly my own work, though the concept is not at all something I lay claim to as an original concept; many books, blogs, and other works exist based on this topic.

If you follow traditional thinking, water is an emotional element because it is so closely related to all life. We emerge from water through the process of birth, we require water to survive must faster than food, indeed we even loos what when we feel the strongest of emotions (both joy and sorrow). So it should be no surprise that water is often an essential element of using color to transmit emotion; water is naturally blue. Using blue and purple shades are an obvious progression and can make a basic shot even more commercially presentable.

This photo was a lucky catch while on a vacation with my parents and an ex-boyfriend of mine about four years ago. I point out that there was a UV filter placed on the camera for this, so it did tint the shot slightly, but only enough to prove my point. Below is the shot taken just prior; this time without using a filter and the default settings and basic white-balance. Just looking at the two quickly, it is simple to tell how there is a dramatic feel to the filtered image.


The lesson I want you to take from this is simple, editing is not always required, but can enhance an image to the perfect level to make a sale. In this case, I am discussing non-portrait images, but the same rule applies there too. If you can frame, light, and pose well, the image will simply need to be uploaded or printed. And for now, I leave you with a few more shots where a slight addition or filtering of color has an obvious effect on the outcome.