Wedding and Photography Services

Monday, April 30, 2012

Think Before You Speak

Tonight's mini post goes back to a previously touched on topic that was nearly turned into a rant when I discovered something earlier this week.

I do not believe in trying to be-little the work of a fellow photographer just because they choose to shoot something I would not. I also do not believe in a violation of the trust that every model and photographer should build before taking on a sensitive shoot. Most of all, I feel that people who violate the requests of their clients should be ashamed to call their work “professional”.  Remember please that I do not believe in insulting a colleague because it will be important as I cover this next bit of information...

On Monday I was doing some research into other area boudoir photographers and came across something very upsetting. I was intrigued by the first few shots on this site and wanted to see more of the beautiful model in kitten heels he had on the first page. I always feel if their clients are familiar with their portfolio and comfortable with that type of session, there is nothing wrong with letting the photographer suggest something different. I was happy to see that the particular photographer I stumbled across that evening has a talent for shooting well in low light. But I was greatly disturbed by something that I feel shows the unprofessional behavior this particular individual would use on his subjects. The models he worked with had not signed releases for him to use their images; in fact, he stated that we was sad how many of them felt that their bodies should not be shared with the public even though. I dug deeper, and found that this was a secondary page created under a false name so that his work could be displayed without the knowledge of his clients.

I do not limit my customers from making requests; on the contrary, I invite a challenge or request from my subjects because this business is all about pleasing the client. I often ask my clients if they would be willing to sign a model release when I feel that the session contains images of an exceptional nature. Most sign the release, excited at the prospect of being able to send their friends to see their images on the walls of the studio or in my advertising campaigns.

In the case the a client refuses to sign or asks that some shots not be displayed, I mark the files or session to ensure there is no confusion. It is my obligation to clients that I act with integrity and continue to protect their privacy. Even with permission for clients, I choose not to make many of my boudoir images public because they are a form of sensitive material. I believe that my subjects have the right to expect that their privacy will be respected,

I understand that not everyone will feel that we are obliged to protect a person if they wanted to pose for something others might find offensive. If you are part of that mindset, I am not here to rant at you. What I choose for my business is based on what I feel is right for my comfort level and the type of customer I want to attract.

As a photographer we may look at our work and see beauty, but that is not always the case of the viewer. Every girl is somebody's daughter, and her “Daddy” may not be too pleased with the person showing off her goods on the internet without written consent. I takes only one click for a reputation or career to be ruined through a thoughtless post. All I want to remind you of is how sensitive the world has become with social media being available across the globe.