Wedding and Photography Services

Friday, October 26, 2012

Bedroom Eyes

Dyed my hair the other night.  I do this often, but this was my farewell to the color I have been using since shortly before getting pregnant in 2010.  I wanted to make sure I used up the last of the somewhat expensive dye products I had been using to keep from feeling guilty.  I normally use natural Red Henna mixed with lemon juice and grape-seed oil to produce a light red-blond, but have come to a point where I want to change that system.

This is one more step in the long process of changing my look and going back to the fun edge I had while in college and my early photography career in New York.  I enjoyed that time because I could let my clothing, hair and make-up choices really express my personality.  Having a corporate job often feels like I have to be less myself because everything must be "a natural look".  Somehow, nails polished with blue or purple will never be enough "self expression" in my wardrobe.

I'm an eye make-up addict.  I love the bright fire shades, something with oranges or reds can photograph beautifully even when the lighting is not stellar because of how the shades blend well over most skin tones. 

I bring all this up because the look of the photographer can be just as vital as the look of their images when presenting "the whole package" to potential clients.  This weekend I am going from working and photographing an event at the retail job, right to a boudoir sitting with a brand new client.  The party at my retail job is our Halloween celebration and I am going to be in a costume for that day.  The bring issue I have been facing is figuring out what to do about hair and make-up for this costume so that it will not be a problem when I then switch to being a professional at my sitting that evening. 
Boudoir make-up:  not my favorite image from this set, but good for today's purposes.

This goes into my next point, don't think you have to use a tone of make-up to achieve a great "bedroom" look for boudoir images.  There are some shades and colors that will allow you to use much less to achieve a wonderful look because of how they naturally work with the camera.  The idea is to draw attention either to eyes OR lips, and very dark colors on each with a pale face between is going to look even more vampy or clownish if lighting is off even a smidgen. 

Brown Mascara & Gold Eye Shadows.
Browns:

Please, PLEASE!  Remember that while it may dominate the shelves... black is not the only color of mascara and eye liner known to the cosmetics world.  Chocolate browns are wonderful on redheads and blonds because they are not nearly as harsh.  I suggest them for green eyed clients and really anyone who does not wear make-up in their day to day look because they blend well with softer shades.  

Golds:

If you have bronzed skin this can really work well to show off that glow without going very Jersey Shore.  You want to work with a golden brown around the brows and a honey tone gloss for the lips.  They make a dewy, natural look without being completely nude faced. 

Golds can also be amazing if you go for a mixture with other colors.  The addition of a gold shimmer over a deep blue, red, brown or even an olive green will enhance the iris perfectly.  Just a dash of shimmer at the corner of the eye is a fantastic way to add a touch of drama to an otherwise simple look.  A brush of very mild bronze or gold across the nose and cheeks can also enhance freckles on a lovely speckled complexion. 


Rose Pinks:
Rose & Chocolate Tones.

 If you are a pink addict or even just the kind of girl that wears make-up all the time then these are the kind of colors you should plan to use for your boudoir images.  Make sure you go for it all over too, a soft blush on the cheeks and from brow to lash should be enough if you do a deeper rose color for the lips.  Keep in mind that the brighter the lip, the softer your face pallet. 

Rose shades work on tones from the fairest to deeper honey shades; they are not great for ebony skinned ladies though. If you fall into this much darker world, I suggest a similar pattern of application with terracotta and brick reds.  Think of orange shades that have a brown tint to them, you want to go with a slightly muted tone that can bring up the fire and beauty in your face rather than a bold shimmer.