Wedding and Photography Services

Monday, May 21, 2012

Boutique Beauty in the Boudoir


This weekend is a big event for Akelis Studios. I am excited to see how things go, but also wanted to help out some of those who are new to boudoir photography by suggesting some ideas for choosing the perfect outfit. I'm to here to tell you what to wear every day, how to find the perfect bra based on your cup size, or any of the thousands of things that fashion bloggers have made a living doing. However... I can tell you what I know works for those not familiar with, or comfortable in lingerie beyond a simple bra & panties. 

 
At the risk of letting you all into more of my person life than needed, I will share this fact with you now; until Thursday of last week, I had not owned “sexy” lingerie of my own since about 2004. I help women feel beautiful in it every day. I am an avid fan of many companies and watch fashion shows and hungrily await new collections to be announced every season. If this is all true, why would I not own anything for my personal life... well, you can assume it has to do with my personal shopping choices and spending priorities. Having shoes that would be comfortable for walking and wearing at shoots and good quality jeans to take the abuse of kneeling or crawling in any number of muddy and nasty conditions for the perfect shot just ranked higher.

I am not going to say you should only shop at the stores mentioned here, or that you absolutely have to buy the exact items I mention; that never works out for everybody because each woman's personality and figure is a little different.  I  do not own any part of and am not getting paid to advertise these items/designers.  What I will suggest are the places (and they may surprise you) where I have found some of the most flattering things in my own collection or that my clients have brought with them for our shoots. I often will stop a client before they leave and ask where they found a piece if it is something truly striking, and that is how I built this list.

Frederick's of Hollywood:
Back before I was even out of high school I was a huge fan of Frederick's. I love that they are always willing to try something daring in their designs and color choices. Right now, I think that they have some of my favorite pieces for a fuller figured model. These are items that are great for women who might not feel secure about their stomach and hips.

Full figured ladies might want to look at these great options:


Victoria's Secret:
I watch their yearly fashion show like an addict waiting for her next hit. It is true my favorite part is always getting a chance to see the beautiful wings they dream up for each collection. It is also true that I find their designs more flattering for smaller busted women. They have some wonderful designs for bra and panty sets that make people gasp when they get to see the full impact in the mirror or photos.

Confident Brides might want to look at some of these cute ideas:
VS Satin Gown  - this only comes in one color, but if you look good in red, you can get a real "Jessica Rabbit" look.


Fashion Bug:
I know, you're now thinking I have lost my grasp on reality. In all honesty, this is exactly where I found some of my favorite items over the years. They cater to a wide range of sizes and their bra selection has a fantastic choice of patterns and colors. I also suggest them for hair accessories and unique jewelry. A good boudoir look should consider all elements of beauty and fashion, and being able to find a fantastic necklace or pair of earrings will add real flair to a simple set of under-things. 
 
Much of their collection is bra & panties, so I'll share a successful look that can come from their store:
Pink Satin & Embroidered Set


Pin-up Girl Clothing:
This is one of the few companies I have never bought anything from, but that will change shortly since I have selected my new bathing suit from their collections for this summer. They have a great selection for all parts of vintage styling, and the photography on the site reflects the popular photography styles of the era. I would almost classify this as “costume” wardrobe, save that I have a good number of models who are party of the modern revival of rock-a-billy fashion.

They have a number of lovely things, but these stand out for certain because they are classic accessories: 
Cuban Heel Stockings   -  back seam stockings are vital for vintage boudoir
Ruffle Panties  -  fantastic for women a little self conscious about their bottom line
Lolita Pump Shoes  -  go for a bright bold color or print like the one shown here, and remember you pedicure too!


As you might guess from my comments in the links, having a complete look is vital.  Models often come in with a great negligee, hair and make-up and the look is incomplete because they wore sneakers but forgot to bring heels or get do a little bit of pedicure work.  I also remind women that just like in daily life, a fantastic necklace or killer set of kitten heels is a great way to get noticed for your best features.

Color choice is also essential.  You should remember that pinks and reds don't look as fantastic on women who have a strong natural blush to their skin.  My favorite models have been the ones that choose something to complement their eyes or hair to best advantage.  I have green eyes and red hair thanks to a little helping henna; so my choice are greens and blacks because they don't clash with my very light skin and make the features I want to show off work for me.  

The two photos on this page are snapshots of some of the choices women might have when they  are going through their own dresser.  The one below is a tossed together idea that would work perfectly with a basic pair of heels and a sultry smirk.  The blue-green of the beads in the necklace might not be a perfect match in shade, but with a little skin between them, that bra and those beads will look lovely and make a cohesive picture.


I work with women of all sizes, not just the slender models in fashion magazines. I even have serious curves of my own and a little postpartum weight left to lose. For the full figured women out there dreaming of being “thin enough” to do boudoir photos, stop dreaming and find something that flatters who you are now... because you are never more beautiful than when you are wearing a smile.