Wedding and Photography Services

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Colorful Thoughts


Sorry for the long break in posting. No excuses, I was simply too busy with other things to sit down and write out anything that would be worth reading, and I don't believe in doing something if you are not going to give it a full try. I will be sharing some of the work I have done over this period of silence, as well as a story that can help newer photographers based on my own simple mistakes.
Today we will be discussing color theory. I understand that this has been mentioned many times previously; but today I will be breaking down what exactly it means and how to use this knowledge. All of this is in an effort to help you with your color choices for clothing or accessories before a photography session and when thinking about how to edit an image in your post-work.

This is the color wheel. I know it appears to be just a bunch of colored wedges, but this diagram is actually one of the best tools ever invented for artists, designers, and fashionable dressers the world over. It is also one of the few “non-photographs” I have hanging in my studio. A clear teaching/working print hangs over my desk along with post-it notes stuck all over the place giving insight on using the colors in some dyes, editing programs, and how to white balance to best take advantage of a color if it will appear often in a session. Actually, the one I use is a bit more complex, but just as effective:


If you think back to primary school, we learn there are three primary colors. We remember that red, blue, and yellow are the basics and from those all other shades and combinations are born. Now, look at the wheel. Do you see only thee colors? Do you see just six colors? No. Even in school we learn that there are at least three more colors we can make by using the primary three; from red and blue we get purple, blue and yellow give us green, and yellow with red brings us orange. Those are joined by white - the sum of all colors, black – the absence of color, and brown – the muddled combination of three primary shades in unequal parts.

Here is what we don't learn in kindergarten... some colors make others appear brighter or stronger just by being near them. Now that I've dropped that bombshell on you, I would like to refer you back to the color wheel image above. Notice what colors are opposing on the wheel. If you draw a direct line across the wheel you will find the polar-opposite is based on that theory.

Fantastic, there are opposite colors... now why do you need to know this? Well, I am getting to that part. But first I'll give you a task: Draw a line from GREEN, across the wheel to the color it most “sets off”. What do you find there? You should be looking at RED. Yes, red and green are opposites here too. Actually, that is exactly why they are used on traffic lights in that way. Now run you finger or eye around the wheel counter-clockwise and find the “mid-point”. Now does it make sense why we use YELLOW as the “slow down” signal?

By now you are sick of me talking about traffic lights and want to know what, if anything, this has to do with your photography. Well, think about hair and eye color. Blue eyes look wonderful when the skin around them as a slightly bronzed look. Make-up companies have been using this fact to sell “color kits” for years, so why not make the same connection in your work?

One benefit of photography as a medium is that color theory can actually be applied very simply. We can coordinate with a model, make-up artist, wardrobe director, or any other person who will have input in the shoot based on a simple formula. Think of it as color algebra. You take the two colors from the wheel and select the actual unique tone that will make the highest impact to create exactly the image you seek.


( RED + GREEN ) = BEAUTY
TONE


For now I will leave you this real-life example, flaws an all. The model in this photo from over my recent break has a lovely tan and it is set off even better when posed against the rolling waves on the beach. We both felt that the chilly water and my soaked jeans were well worth the beauty of this natural and emotive atmosphere, and the colors agree perfectly with a little tweaking. In fact, I am still in the process of choosing my final modifications.