Wedding and Photography Services

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dancing In The Rain

Please remember that if you like the work on any of these photos, you should look up the studios responsible - each is one I have seen work from and found something I enjoy; all are listed so that you can find them for your event.  

I intended to make a post about building a home gallery, but I have not had time to do sufficient work on the visual aids, so that will be delayed until a later time.  Tonight I will tell you about the images I would love to capture, and perhaps have taken of myself if ever I feel satisfied with my weight loss and to ever allow anyone to take my photo again.  This will involve items from other photographers who's work I adore, and a discussion about changes I would make or things it makes me think about while reading.

While preparing for my marriage I thought about what I wanted to look like even at our tiny legal ceremony.  I knew that there was forecast for rain and that I would still look like I had at about five months pregnant.  My mother and I went dress shopping and I settled on a knee length dress in white cotton eyelet and bright pair of rain boots with matching umbrella.  this plays right into one of my favorite kinds of wedding photography... rainy day photos!

Photo Credit: www.elizabethannedesigns.com

I adore the kind of people that don't let those moments ruin their day... the ones that go out of their way to make the most of it are even better.  They make shooting so much fun because they don't let the uncontrolled moments get them down.  They go with it and get some amazing photos even though the weather might just be out of control. 

Photo Credit: Scott Zuehlke Photography
The same goes for snow days and winter brides.  The women who risk a blizzard on their big day are my heroes!  I also adore the girls who go for wintery wedding coats over their gowns. If a coat isn't your thing, mittens can be such a classy addition that can really make the winter feeling read even in snow-less moments.  I am also a fan of seeing poinsettias in wedding bouquets, perhaps because I feel they just don't get the love they should for being such bold flowers.

Dressing for inclement conditions was a part of my considerations for my wedding gown this year because we risked a serious chill by planning an outdoor event on the coast in hurricane season.  I even had to trade open toe shoes for boots my freshman year of high school when we had a dusting of snow on prom night in early May... but that kind of hazard is par for the course in what my nerdy friends and I refer to as living "Beyond The Wall".
Padmé Amidala as played by Natalie Portman in
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Hooded Wedding Gowns may be the most beautiful thing in the world.  I believe I am biased here because my own mother made her own wedding gown with a simple, flattering hood.  I could not find a copy of any of her wedding photos so I will go with a well known hooded wedding gown from one of my favorite movie series.

I am not a massive fan of the heavy embroidery and beading that make this hood appear cumbersome, but the flow of the lace is lovely and highly complements the flowing twists of hair.  I suppose using a Star Wars reference while writing about weddings solidifies my nerd status in a new way.  That aside, this does prove my feeling that hoods make for a lovely detail and perfect opportunity to take the face framing shot that the bride will want to keep forever as a token of her special day.

I am a lover of the image that comes from one of the rare moments that standing square to the lens can complement the bride.  Hoods allow for an ideal cover over shoulder which otherwise might appear bulky so brides can give the full force of direct eye contact without the downside of looking like a linebacker.  The elegant gesture of your ring hand holding the edge carefully away as though lowering the hood for a kiss can be a fantastic way to show the new jewelry.

Photo Credit: Jeff Stone
The next image is really something for the groom.  If anything speaks to the masculine element in a wedding it is the fantastic photography of that sexy car that carries the couple away to start their new life together.  For emphasis on the sexy car moment I had to refer to male friends on mine and gauge their level of drooling over several beautiful autos but it came down to what they felt best told a man's story.  I think it was all the more awesome that this car happened to match the wedding colors perfectly.

Personally, I am waiting for next summer when a close friend of mine is having her own wedding.  There has been discussion of her having a fire truck as the wedding vehicle as a salute to her husband's years on the fire department and work as an EMT.  Their ceremony is taking place in the hay field of his family's dairy farm and gives me hundreds of ideas for fun photos with a tractor.  I feel a tractor would be a perfect prop since she and actually met at an agricultural college where we were both in a program centered on equine science.  I want to see the bride enjoying her day and make use of perspective to get something much like this shot from a senior photography session back in May.

Akelis Studios Photography
For the moment I am going to stop the list here.  There are many more things I cannot wait to try, but this was only meant to be a little taste of what I have in my head as an artist.  Brides looking to book and willing to try any of these are welcomed to contact me so that we can discuss their vision.  My job is to please the client first, meaning that your needs come before my artistic dreams.