Wedding and Photography Services

Monday, January 21, 2013

Make Overs Make Me Sick

About as girlie as I get,
and this is mixed media paint/photo.
I am not now, nor have I ever been particularly girlie.  I have never hand a professional manicure or pedicure in my life.  The last time my hair was touched by a trained professional was in the summer of 2009 when I cut and donated a large portion of it.

It is not that I dislike the idea of a make-over or being pretty.  I am a fan of well finished hair and make-up and have taken years working to achieve a signature look that I can complete with little to no extra effort.  I even have a "mundane" job for extra income that involves selling skin-care and make-up products.  I take my hair color choices seriously, and I now use strictly henna dye for health and beauty reasons.

That said... I am not a fan of excessive tanning, heavily made-up faces, or a highly altered look plastered with the label "beauty".  I see this kind of thing from the point of view of a person who then has to spend time correcting skin tones, the odd look of running make-up, or generally working to fit a false standard when looking at their photography.  Most often, I see this is terms of working with brides, because white does not help skin tone to look it's best and requires some careful metering to make sure it is not blown out with poor lighting already.

What I say here is just a suggestion for brides and anyone else looking to have important events documented in the near (or not so near) future:

  1. LESS IS MORE:

    I know I sound like a broken record here, but it will continue to be a valid point for the rest of eternity!  Keep your make-up fairly simple.  Stay true to the kind of look you achieve every day or perhaps on date-nights.  You want to look like the lovely woman he fell for when you look into his eyes and hear him say I do.

  2. THE EYES HAVE IT:
    Perhaps take your time to focus on having eyebrows shaped and finished and do a smokey eye using those neutrals to keep the attention on your sparkling baby blues (or browns, or greens in my case). If you are a neutrals girl, stay in that realm and work it up a notch or two buy using a black mascara and liner in place of brown.  Drawing the attention to your gaze can make for some beautiful photography in either a cathedral veil or a petite bird-cage.

  3. TEST EVERYTHING: 

    When you hire a make-up artist, or if you re going the road alone, you should be certain to plan a date to test out your concept.  This is standard practice for most professionals to book, but there is another step I suggest. 

    Get a digital or disposable camera and once you find a look you think will work, take a bunch of photos in different light.  What looks lovely under staged lighting at the salon might not hold up out in the full glare of a sunny day.  You need to know if you will have to re-apply or fix smudges for an outdoor event. 

  4. EVERYBODY CRIES AT WEDDINGS:

    Bring a bottle of fake tears (eye drops) to test how much it might run when you do what we all do and start weeping at the alter while you say your vows. If you are doing your own make-up, check out Sephora or other make-up counters and see what they suggest if you know you're a teary eyed bride.  It took me forever to find a truly waterproof mascara in a brown shade, so let your artist know if that is a concern for you too!

This is a short list of a few of the things I suggest when preparing for your big day.  It is a ton to think about when you are looking at layers of white gowns, billions of floral arrangements and color choices, and thinking about your hair and make-up.  Remember that you are getting married and will have these photos forever.  Think about the fact that in twenty years you will be showing them to your kids and want to look at them and see the genuine joy in your face.