Wedding and Photography Services

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Married Go Round Photography

Please remember that if you like the work on any of these photos, you should look up the studios responsible - each is one I have seen work from and found something I enjoy; all are listed so that you can find them for your event.  
 
Now that I have had a few days to goof off ... it is time to get back to that list I gave you the other day.  Today I am going to cover the ones that will have a special place in my own wedding album. And I'll start with something that can become a disaster so quickly it almost hurts.

Photo Credit:  Ampersand Photography
My wedding gown is hanging in what was once my bedroom at my mother's house across town. At some point fairly soon I will take a few photos of it so details and those lovely “lonely gown” shots can begin the album I will someday build for my wedding photos. I think the biggest part is making sure that the whole scene is carefully planned and executed. My own plan involves a tribute to my grandfather since he had such an impact on my life.

There are a number of fantastic things I have taken but still get that fluttering thrill every time I line up the shot and click the shutter.  The thought put into what I will do before this shot happens is one of those drawn out moments that makes my stomach clench.  There is a little fear that it will not manage to live up to what is in my head, but I cannot wait to see it.

The sequence I have in mind for my wedding actually includes some other great elements that I adore, an idea of childhood memories. One version of this I love is done through use of the rope swing. It is that kind of childhood or celebration salute that blends right into the next style that I adore; though my choice of childish prop is a bit more massive. For that reason I plan on letting it have a starring role in the images of myself and my bridal party.

Photo Credit:  Akelis Studios

I adore my bridesmaid. She is one of the most amazing souls I have ever had the privilege to encounter in my life. We share so much, so many laughs and tears, and I cannot imagine how I could ever go without her at my wedding. The thrill of getting my beautiful best friend to model her ruby red gown for her own portraits in that album is something I am looking forward to greatly. For her I have this image in my head of sitting on one of the lavish painted horses that decorate the classic carousel I most covet.

Yes, I am going to have my bridal portraits on a carousel!

Photo Credit:  Akelis Studios
The goal is for both of us to take a ride along with our children – all boys – and take some perfect mommy moment photos we can share with our kids as they get older. I want to have that moment with the breeze brushing back my veil and those sweet moments with the boy. Eventually we will add in my husband, our best man and his two children, and our other groomsmen. The idea of a wonderful riot of color around my husband and I as we kiss on the spinning ride is something I have held in my head for years.

I adore the colors and lights, the carnival feeling, that matches the lively party I want for our wedding day. Something between a mad-hatter tea party and the country festival from Mary Poppins is what I have in mind for our reception. We'll have tea-pot center pieces, lemony finger cakes, and my steampunk details for the slightly science fictional side that happens in everything my loving nerd man encounters.

And speaking of the men... how about those manly details that should really get some photographic love? I'm a sucker for those awesome socks. I love those bright color statement things, most of all the ones that match the bride's bright shoes. Who says the girls get all the fun photos anyway.. just because they might all be secret shoe addicts does not mean you have to let them have all the fun either.

Knot.com Image  (photographer not listed) 
(If you are the photographer, please comment below so I can add your credit)

Pick something fun and go with it guys. I secretly dread the photos that will appear when my husband and his friends get their turn with the camera. I foresee a Dungeons & Dragons game theme since we are all gamers that ran table top back in the days before my pregnancy. I was thinking about ordering dice for the groomsmen as a thank you, so they could well appear at some point.

Photo Credit:  Simply Southern Photography
Don't just let your bride hog the spot light with her girls. Take some time and really think about what you share with your buddies. Would you be the guys walking down the train tracks for that “almost an album cover” look to your photos? Perhaps you are military men looking to salute your days in the service. Or are you Star Wars nerds that want to have a light saber duel on the steps of your venue? If you do have that battle, make sure you remember your Padawan training and give the camera a great show!


Speaking of stairs, I love brides or the stairs. Oh, and photographers, make sure that you consider those stairs for the couple as well. They make such a wonderful setting for those scattered groups or large parties that need to fit neatly in a shot without being a panoramic image.

Photo Credit: Fairy Godmother Weddings
Even if all you have is a more modern and slightly dim stairwell, you may be surprised to see what a fantastic shot can be achieved. The fun angles, sharp lines, and extreme shadows that occur there make for a very striking backdrop when the subject is such an elegantly outfitted subject. More romantic styles can be achieve by adding rose petals or soft editing to enhance the glow of marble or mahogany.

They can give such a fun element to the moments before walking down the aisle or getting dressed. This particular shot brings to mind the White Rabbit and his “I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date!” as the bride runs for the alter. Perhaps it is the clock tower on the right side, but I actually adore the fairy tale element it calls to mind.

The grandeur and scale here leads me to the last of my favorite styles that will appear tonight, and the style I love shooting. I am talking about the distortion and scale of an amazingly framed image. The uncompromising shot that has you looking up a Gothic church or down a long row of trees in a woodland path. The kind of image that makes the backdrop outweigh the couple and still manages to tell a story.

I have chosen a venue which lends to this style of image. The beauty and grandeur of the backdrop captures the eye without quite over powering the figures so long as they are dynamically posed. Remember that the key there is having a dynamic pose! Go for the drama of a dipped kiss or wait for a strong breeze to catch the bride's veil in a long gust. Remember that man made structures are not the only setting for something of this sweeping strength. Perhaps a combination of thunderstorms and romance is more they style of your wedding, but there needs to be some “movement” in the image to capture the attention, but it will bring about a wonderful result that will certainly not disappoint.


Photo Credit:  Club Corp.